Kevin Kinsey wrote:
Kris Kennaway wrote:

<snip>

I get the following from uname -a:

FreeBSD archangel.daleco.biz 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #6:
Sat Jun  2 09:22:50 CDT 2007  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
/usr/obj/backup/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

However, I rebuilt world, more or less without issues,
twice in February with "RELENG_6" in the supfile.  This
didn't change uname's output, and that worried me a bit.

So, to make matters bette^H^H^H^Hadder, I csup'ped
to RELENG_7_0 the day after it was released, read
/usr/src/UPDATING, and the webpage detailing the
upgrade, and did another buildworld/kernel cycle.
Now I have no idea if I'm on 6 or 7 (seems like
7, but many ports issues, and I've rebuilt them
all), and it's just becoming a major PITA.

You didnt succeed in installing the new kernel. 'make installkernel' is the step in which this occurs.

Thank you and Phillip for answering my post.  However,
I've done this 3 times now, and I don't skip that step.
There have been no errors in the process, either.

I've rebooted the system, and I'm still being told I'm running
6.2 by uname.  In addition, pkg_add thinks I should be looking
for 6-latest packages instead of 7, and the list of annoyances
continues.  And, "hmm", symbols?  I'm guessing that knob is ON
in FBSD7?  Once again, proof that something's wrong, as I didn't
build debugging kernels in FBSD6 ... so I'm thinking this is
a 7 kernel?  It just doesn't make sense to me.

It *is* a Monday, after all. If installkernel didn't succeed, shouldn't there be any other evidence? Could skipping a mergemaster at some point have this effect?

Possibly you have 6.x sources still. Or you are not actually booting /boot/kernel/kernel but some other kernel. Check sysctl kern.bootfile. You can also do

strings /boot/kernel/kernel | grep 7.0-RELEASE

to verify the kernel version string.

#sysctl kern.bootfile
kern.bootfile: /boot/kernel/kernel

#strings /boot/kernel/kernel | grep 0-RELEASE
@(#)FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #1: Thu Feb 28 12:22:38 CST 2008
FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #1: Thu Feb 28 12:22:38 CST 2008
7.0-RELEASE

#ls -l /boot/kernel/kernel
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  9294687 Feb 28 12:22 /boot/kernel/kernel*

Well, fudging around with uname's source shows that it's basically calling some sysctls, so maybe the question
is, with what I have above, why do I still have:

sysctl -a | grep kern.osre
kern.osrelease: 6.2-RELEASE
kern.osrevision: 199506
kern.osreldate: 602000