Neil Darlow wrote:
Hi,

I have recently upgraded from RELENG_6_3 to RELENG_7_0 via the source method. I followed the upgrade instructions in the 7.0 release notes and rebuilt all ports successfully.

My hardware is a VIA EPIA PD10000 (VIA Centerhauls CPU) with gmirrored IDE disks and GELI encrypted swap (using padlock).

My kernel is GENERIC with removal of 386, 486 and 585 CPU support and addition of options for:

DEVICE_POLLING, HZ=1000, ALTQ, PFLOG, PFSYNC and QUOTA.

I use PF for my firewalling and device polling on my two integrated Via Rhine NICs.

This setup worked great under RELENG_6_2 and RELENG_6_3 (only for a short period due to RELENG_7_0 becoming available) with absolutely no issues whatever.

Since upgrading to RELENG_7_0 I have a problem when the nightly rotation of logfiles occurs. A number of bzip2 processes appear which, with syslogd, consume huge amounts of CPU.

FreeBSD 7 switches to bzipping logfiles rather than gzipping.

Looking at the output of "top" I see that my interrupt CPU usage has increased to 46% and userland CPU usage to 44%. The remainder is system and there is no idle CPU time left.

This should be unrelated to bzip since that is purely CPU bound. What is causing the interrupts? Check vmstat -i. That is likely to be your real problem.

Kris