Bill Moran wrote:

I don't know of anywhere in the FreeBSD base system
that the term "superuser" is used, so I assume he'll get a more
direct answer from the PC-BSD folks.
Hate to be picky, because I'd agree with most everything else you wrote, but superuser, and its synonym super-user, do appear in many base man pages, for example the su page shown below. Sometimes it's a shortcut for root (or other UID 0 user), like below in su, sometimes just for effective UID 0 in general, for example as in mount(8).

The su utility requests appropriate user credentials via PAM and switches
     to that user ID (the default user is the superuser).  A shell is then
     executed.

I'd contend that the su manpage *should* say root not superuser, since root is hardwired as the default. But for other cases, any user with UID 0 might work just as well (e.g. toor).

--Alex