At 02:19 PM 3/12/2008, Doug Poland wrote:
Hello,

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this question, but
since all my servers are FreeBSD 6.x/7.x, I'll give it a go...

I am considering setting up SMTP auth on a number of sendmail
instances that I control.  After much googling and reading, it is not
clear to me that a server with SMTP auth configured/enabled can relay
mail in both auth and non-auth modes.

If one sendmail configuration cannot accommodate both SMTP auth and
access.db, does one setup a dedicated SMTP auth host with a SMART_HOST
option and feed incoming email to an non-auth instance of sendmail?

Sorry if my terminology is ambiguous, I'm not a sendmail professional
by day.

--
Regards,
Doug

You can set up sendmail to do both auth and non-auth. However best practice is to use auth only to control any spam relaying. Check the sendmail.org website FAQ's for setting this up. You will want to probably use cyrus-sasl or cyrus-sasl2 ports along with sendmail.

        -Derek

believed to be clean.