On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:01:28 +0000
Mark Ovens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter Boosten wrote:
> > Ken Gunderson wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> So how would you explain that I am seeing same type of behaviors in
> >> straight "startx" with default twm, i.e. bundled Xorg wm?
> >>

> > Dunno. But the troubles cannot originate from the xorg ports, or
> > everyone would see the same behaviour, right?
> >

>  > Maybe some other port, or hardware (maybe your video card? - just
>  > guessing), or the driver for that particular piece of hardware.
>  >

> One would expect so, but it would appear not to be the case. I'm having
> the same problem - if I ssh in from another box I see the Xorg process
> sucking >100% CPU and the state is *GIANT

I would very much like to see a process using "> 100% CPU" :)

What CPU ? I haven't seen GIANT on Xorg for a while...but, again, I don't check
all the time :d

anyway... my xorg sits at 7.81% on select...i've been on this session for 17
hours, and have a heavily loaded xfce session with 10 virt desktops. I actually
recently removed the lower limit for cpufreq to drop the freq and i've been
hovering @ 200 Mhz (measured once a second in gkrellm), although right now I'm
between 800 and 1000 Mhz.

could you please send your xorg.conf ?

have you tried attaching ktrace to xorg in those situations and seeing what it
is doing ?
what about other system vitals ? is your disk trashing ? RAM usage?

> I'm using an ATI card but people are having the same issue with nVidia
> and Matrox cards. My box has run every version of Xorg since it replaced
> XFree86 on FreeBSD and many versions of XFree86 before that without this
> problem.
>
> Also, the problem seems to come and go for me as I update my ports, i.e.
> the box has the problem, I run ``portmaster -a'' and the problem goes
> away. sometime later I run ``portmaster -a'' again and the problem
> re-appears. Only seems to happen when X-related stuff gets updated.

maybe if you can pinpoint WHAT gets updated it would be of more help :)

the ati drivers had several updates over the last few months...

> The other thing I've noticed is, on my box at least, that the problem
> always starts when I move the mouse (not every time of course) so could
> it be Xorg 7.3 not playing nicely with the mouse driver - or the USB
> driver since my mouse is a USB one? Which may explain why some people
> see the problem and others don't?

I'd like to see a count of hands ... who DOESN'T use USB mice or
built-in-mice-in-laptops nowadays...

by any chance you wouldn't have the xcomposite extension enabled... ?

> This is really becoming a big PITA.

i understand, but without concrete information it wont go anywhere fast :)

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him."
  Forrest Tucker

Warned.