On Mar 21, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Derek Ragona wrote:

At 04:56 AM 3/21/2008, Joe Demeny wrote:
I need to get a budget-priced laptop, such as one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101123
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114430

Does anyone have experience with these?

Any suggestions for other comparable choices?

I would choose the Toshiba, much better quality and support. You may want to look at Lenovo's too.

In a laptop I would look at the graphics if you plan to run X.

In laptops you want to look at everything. If one of the chipset is not supported or badly you cannot like on a desktop change a component by an another.

You want to go here http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/hardware.html and search if every component of you laptop is supported.

-fred-

--
Fred C!