Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
 > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
 >>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >>  >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
 >>  >>  > Hi!
 >>  >>  >
 >>  >>  > I have here severe problems with installing stuff. I tried to
 >>  >>  > recompile xemacs 21.4 and got a:
 >>  >>  > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found, required
by
 >>  >>  > "install-info"
 >>  >>  > I searched google and it seems that this is from FreeBSD 6 while I am
 >>  >>  > running 7 and I have only libc.so.7 on my system.
 >>  >>  > I wondered, tried to compile xemacs 21.5 from the sources and ran
into
 >>  >>  > some other trouble. I figured that I'll do a a cvsup with FreeBSD
 >>  >>  > 7.0-stable and do a portupgrade -ra to do an upgrade for all
packages;
 >>  >>  > hoping that the trouble wents away and I get some kind of xemacs with
 >>  >>  > mule-support installed. But the portupgrade ran into some problems
 >>  >>  > because of a stale dependency (ORBit2-2.14.10 -> libIDL-0.8.9_1
 >>  >>  > (devel/libIDL).
 >>  >>  > I want to install now this stale dependency and get the same error:
 >>  >>  > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found, required
by
 >>  >>  > "install-info"
 >>  >>  >
 >>  >>  > Anyone who can help here?
 >>  >>
 >>  >>  I guess you missed part of the upgrade steps when you updated to 7.0.
 >>  >>  The step you missed involved a portupgrade -fa (or -faP) to refresh all
 >>  >>  of your ports with 7.0 versions to avoid precisely this problem.  You
 >>  >>  should do that now to repair your system.
 >>  >
 >>  > I never upgraded - I did a direct install of 7.0 from downloaded isos.
 >>
 >>  That doesn't explain why you have lots of installed 6.x packages.
 >
 > Well, I do not have any idea neither -- I never touched anything
 > mentioning FreeBSD 6.x

 The FreeBSD 7.0 isos only contain 7.0 packages, so it makes no sense
 that they installed 6.x packages for you :-)

I guessed so. I installed ports via packages, did a cvsup a few days
ago with Release I think and since then I'm compiling.

OK, so you in fact did not just do a direct install from the iso and nothing else :) One of those other steps must have gone wrong, e.g. you installed packages from the wrong package set.

Kris