I think you guys went a bit on a tangent here. What I am trying to do is limit the outbound bandwidth of my services and this should be perfectly possible as I control the output.

Also, the reason for this need is that some services use burst-bandwidth and I have many peaks and lows throughout the day. This means that my carrier who bills me by the 95th percentile is having a field day. For the services that my server offers it's not imperative that they get rid of the client in 1 second instead of 5 for example. In this sense, stretching out 1MB of traffic over 10 seconds is more beneficial towards my 95th than if I stretch it over 2 seconds for example.