On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:05:09 -0600
Redmond Militante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hi
> i've used portsentry on standalone workstations before with ipfilter setup as a
> +firewall, and for some reason, now when i'm trying to use it on a ipf/ipnat
> +gateway box, it's being really verbose about the ports it's binding to.  if i
> +nmap a standalone workstation i have configured ipfilter/portsentry on, i don't
> +get the huge list of ports that it's binding to...  i thought perhaps there was
> +a config option to hide this information

Redmond,

There is a good article regrading using portsentry @

http://www.sans.org/rr/intrusion/portsentry.php

They talk about version 1 on Linux being able to monitor ports
using a socket instead of binding to a port, so this should
look different to an nmap scan. As to wheather or not FreeBSD
supports this feature, I do not know, Anyone out there chime in?

>From the SANS article
----------------snip-----------------
Example One ? Default configuration

By default, the portsentry.conf is designed to listen and block
attacking hosts using TCP Wrappers. The default configuration
is set up to bind with some of the most commonly probed TCP ports
and UDP ports on a Unix system. If any attacking host scans or
makes an attempt to attach to one of the PortSentry bound ports,
PortSentry will instantly drop the attacking host into the
hosts.deny file, thus blocking _ALL_ traffic from the attacking
IP address.
----------------snip-----------------

What bothers me about this method of defense is the possibilty
of an attacker causing a DOS by spoofing their source scan IP
and causing your system to deny traffic from a vaild host like
your upstream DNS server.

I have not worked with portsentry at all so, this default
behavior is probably not the optimum way to use this tool.

Scanning is so common on the net that the gain from this
seems minimal on a gateway firewall, inside your LAN is
another story ;-)

As to system integrity checking, I like to use Aide,
found in /usr/ports/security/aide but tripwire is
probably a more commonly used tool.

Using a tight ipf firewall in conjunction with snort on
a gateway firewall is a common and well liked setup.

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]