On Sun, 04 May 2008 22:12:23 -0700
prad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i'd like to know how people live with freebsd.

great, thanks for asking! :)

> do you use only ports or only packages or a mixture?

mostly build my own packages from ports. Sometimes I would use a package when
either I dont have the time /resources to build ( OOO, but lately i've just
built it myself). Also using packages for those apps that,

> do you upgrade from version to version using freebsd tools or do it
> manually?

version to version of what? Of kernel and world, in my workhorse laptop, i do
source upgrades and roll my own kernel.
For some servers and VM which are fairly generic and don't need much tweaking,
i just run generic or SMP and use freebsd-update. I've used freebsd-update to
upgrade VMs from 6.x to 7.x works GREAT (thanks Collin!)

> do you have a different approach regarding the above depending on
> whether it is for a server or a desktop?

it actually depends on how much customisation i need

> the handbook tells you what you can do, but i'd like to know what is
> actually done and why.

of course :)

have fun!

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I've dirtied my hands writing poetry, for the sake of seduction; that is,  for
the sake of a useful cause."
   Dostoevsky

Warned.