Hello,

I've a host on the network called "GC100_000C1E00AC3F_GlobalCache", and I'm getting interesting behaviour when I try to do DNS lookups on it.

Under FreeBSD, ping fails with 'Unknown server error'(distinct from the standard 'Unknown host'), and nslookup succeeds. OSX and Windows machines will do a DNS lookup on it quite happily

The best explanation I can manage is that ping etc. are using different code from nslookup, and only nslookup is allowing the underscores within the hostname.

Is this behaviour by design? My understanding is that underscores are not strictly permitted, but that most implementations choose to allow them unless there's a specific reason not to.

Regards,

Chris