You can do all of this with amanda and simply run your backup from cron.

amanda.org

David Banning wrote:
For backing up purposes, I use a number of tools.

Thanks Frank for your input. I have chosen for now use Chuck's suggestion,
that being cvsup. The only thing I would like to do is omit certain files
that I don't want backed up - large unimportant files - some cache and
log files. I'll look at your suggestions and see if there is a way to tweak my backup strategy for the best mix.