Hi Martin,

        I would have had to enabled nfs client if using
mount_smbfs, correct?

Nopes - stick to using the mount command. Depending on the filesystem you specify (with the -t option), it will call the relevant mount command itself (eg. mount_smbfs, mount_nfs).

        When I built the system in question, I did not enable
nfs capabilities and don't really want to if I can avoid doing
so.

You don't need it.

        It sounds like smbclient fits the bill for now, but
thanks to all of you for making things more clear.
        It seems that /usr/ports/net/samba3 gives one a whole
boatload of possibilities.

Although installing samba will give you smbclient and a load of other things, if you don't need them I wouldn't install it. From what you've previously explained, everything can be done with the (already supplied) mount command.

Steve :)