Hello,

Mike Clarke:

On Friday 30 May 2008, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

Server - Remote root login is disallowed but I need to fetch
snaphosts produced by rsnapshot and for this I need remote root
access. Backup machine on a dynamic IP - connects to server using
key-based authentication. Can this machine (and only this machine)
log in remotely as root?

Yes, on the remote server set PermitRootLogin to "without-password" instead of "no" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and append your your public key from the remote machine into /root/.ssh/authorized_keys.

Thank you for this advice! Each time I am surprised how flexible this system is and how helpful its users are!

Regards,

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.lc-words.com