Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
I just upgraded to FBSD 7.0 and tried to compile a test fortran
program with the GCC fortran compiler:

% gcc tmp.f90
gcc: tmp.f90: Fortran compiler not installed on this system
%

% gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i386-undermydesk-freebsd
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD]
%

Do I understand correctly that with this FBSD release GCC 4.2.1 does
not include the fortran compiler?

Or has I missed some flag/setting during buildworld stage?

Sure, I can install ports/lang/gcc42, but I thought the fortran compiler
would be available in the base system.

It was removed since fortran support is unused within FreeBSD and has become uncommon in the user community. Switching to the port should present no difficulties.

Kris