check it background after modifying /etc/rc.d/* scripts

There is no explicit fsck for the root partition. If you have
background-checking enabled there is a single call to "fsck -p -F" that
does foreground checking on filesystems in fstab that aren't eligible
for background-checking. AFAIK the sole reason that root is foreground
checked is that sysinstall doesn't set soft-updates on it.
you are right. sorry but i was sure my / partition on my laptop have soft updates set, while it doesn't. and this is the only place i have background_fsck set to yes

sorry for messing up