circa 2/13/03 3:34 PM, Pete Gontier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Java applets
>
> Uh oh.
>
>> Customers are reporting issues such as:
>
>>> Recently I've noticed that your site operates very slowly.  When I am
>>> surfing at ****, the speed gradually decreases until it won't navigate at
>>> all anymore.  sometimes **** even breaks my dsl connection somehow and I
>>> have to re-start my computer.  One one occasion it actually crashed my
>>> machine and caused it to re-boot.  These issues are not occurring when
>>> visiting other websites.  Any ideas?
>
> My guess is your Java code has something in it which causes some VMs to
> degenerate into badness. This is not to say your Java code has bugs, but
> many VMs do. I can't see how your server would be involved in this sort of
> problem. I'd gather data on the VMs installed on the machines of the folks
> who complain.

I should clarify. People I've talked to who've worked on Java VMs say they
get a bad rap. They blame the perception of applets as being unstable on
browser developers, who supposedly do a bad job of hosting applets. I have
no idea whose side to take on that issue, but gather data on which browsers
are causing trouble as well and you may learn something.

Another thing to look at since it seems that the problem is isolated to DSL
clients is how those clients are connecting to DSL. If most of them are
using a USB-to-DSL device, consider whether their driver is having a bad
interaction with Java, etc.

 --

  Pete Gontier <http://www.pete.gontier.org/>

  "One of her recent paintings, 'Interring the Terrier', 1993, which appears
   to show a small headless dog being stuffed inside a red armchair by two
   frogs and a sardine, sold at auction for $21,000 -- a record price..."

                           -- Busch and Silver, "Why Cats Paint", p55