On Sat, 21 Jun 2008, Kris Kennaway wrote:

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
Hello all,

I know it was a long time ago, but I was talking with a co-worker about why perl was removed from the base in v5 -- I seem to recall a discussion on some mailing list about either the number of arguments or the format of the arguments and/or output of a base perl function having changed between 5.005 and 5.6.1.

Thing is, that's a very vague thing to try to google for, and I can't seem to find it. Are there any old-timers who remember the system call in question?

I dont think it was that. AFAICR the issue was mostly that it was a *lot* of work to mangle the perl build into bmake format so it would build with make world, and it was also difficult to avoid conflicts with other versions of perl that needed to be installed for port builds. It was just too difficult to maintain in the base system, especially when nothing used it.

Yeah, most of my recent re-reading is showing that...but there's something so distinct in my mind that I'm recalling, some function that changed its meaning, return values, and/or number of arguements around that time. I realize that may not be the ONLY reason, and I'm seeing a lot of the predominant other....still, this is going to bug me, now.

I could of course just be insane.

Personally, I miss the adduser written in perl -- there's a feature that was in that version that's not in the current (integration with /var/yp and the ability to automagically run make in that dir).

-Dan

--

"When I'm lost, and confused, and trying to make a U-turn, nothing annoys
me more than someone telling me to watch out for the tombstone!"

"How often does that happen, Fab?"

-David Feld & Tom Fabry, sometime in High School.