On Friday 14 February 2003 03:30 am, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
> > I was surprised; there are no SAPDB (www.sapdb.org) in
> > http://www.freebsd.org/ports/databases.html list!
> > Has someone tried to install SAPDB on FreeBSD? Is it possible to create
> new port?

sure, if it runs on FreeBSD.   Look for the porting handbook.  If you're the
only one that wants to use it, you may have to do the porting.

> I tried about a year or so ago, but gave up.  The SAPDB "build tools" are
> extremely Linux-centric (they expect a LSB-compliant filesystem layout, and
> it's next to impossible to trick it, as paths are hardcoded everywhere).
> Furthermore, the actual SAPDB product is again, Linux-centric and has all
> the warts that one would expect.
>
> I eventually gave up and just ran it in Linux emulation -- much less effort
> than making a FreeBSD port.

Lots of ports run under linux emulation.
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/linux.html
Did you get it working well under emulation on FreeBSD?  If so, then it would
be a good candidate for a port (if anyone wants to use it and do the porting)

Tim