Quoting David Gurvich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

A further note:  If I run remove the '-B' option and add '-d',
wpa_supplicant does disassociate but rapidly reassociates on it's own.

I can understand what you are going through. Our network guy here is questionable so I can't say that my experience with disconnection can be tied in with yours. Following the handbook did the trick for me and ofcourse messing around further enhanced my knowledge.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

I would recommend running

wpa_supplicant -i ipw0 -c /wpa.conf &
dhclient ipw0