Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
Dear all,

I read man freebsd-update but it has not answered my questions. That is, after I have issued freebsd-update fetch/install, where can I find information about if the installed updates require recompiling the kernel or system restart?

Thank you in advance!

Not all updates include kernel updates, some are just userland.
If you are running a GENERIC, unomdified (from CD) kernel, this will be updated in the process. freebsd-update shows you a list of updated files, and will also show /boot/kernel/kernel if this is updated. You will also see source files in /usr/src/sys being updated on a kernel update. Since I always run custom kernels, I just watch for changes in /usr/src/sys. If there are updates there and you are running a custom kernel, you will have to recompile it. Otherwise you don't have to. The uname -a command will still report a previous -p<version> until you recompile though.