On Jul 15, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 02:02:24PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:

Is probably best to postpone wildcard expansion until the last moment
because if any of the filenames contain spaces the space will probably cause a break between arguments. The first time the wildcard expands to a filename with a space the space will be escaped. But the second time
you use it that escape is lost. So its best to expand it in the place
its needed.

        thanks for this clarification!  until yesterday, whe  you
        mmentioned blanks[whitespace], as id a song title, i  hadn't
        tought about songs like "Not Ready to Make Nice.ogg" e.g.
        I am not sure why these players store the  song in wav format
        without deleting the files, but when my limited /tmp is full,
        certain aps fail mysteriously.  with a fwdozen more line of code
        they could at least fail more gracefully.

You might consider adding something like

setenv  TMPDIR  /home/dkelly/tmp
setenv  TMP     /home/dkelly/tmp

to your ~/.cshrc (or whatever appropriate for the shell you are using). This moves "/tmp" for cooperative applications into private space where you might have more room. Of course KDE is probably starting via a different route. Or maybe not.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]