I have had a very hard time trying to debug which has hindered my work on
some projects.  In particular I have had trouble properly grasping how to work
with debugging multi threaded applications, memory errors, and stack
corruption. I know that it is not a five minute learning process to absorb such
knowledge, but I have not yet found helpful references. I have had best luck
trying to logically guess a location close to the problem, then setting a break
and walking through the code. Once I hit a segfault, I run through the code
with a breakpoint bringing me to just before the problem, but do not always
understand how to go further. Strange things I see look like bad pointer
addresses or the problems being caused within another thread.
  Since moving to FreeBSD7, I have been unable to use valgrind (which did not
seem to help much on multi threaded apps) and I have not found a way to test
binaries in the work directories and have had to install it to test it. At
present, either gdb alone or kdbg seem to be the only ways I have been able to
get even partially reliable responses from gdb because other interfaces
disregard breakpoints and interrupts to execution. Are such difficulties common?
  On another similar topic, is there a good place to start learning about
limitations to system internals, such as kern.ipc.shmmax and why I may 'not'
want to set it to excessively high values or how other values relate to
changing it? How can I tell what cap is occurring, whether it be a system limit
or something controlled within the app such as with pthread_attr_setstacksize()
and how are 'proper' values determined?
  The books "advanced programming in the unix environment" and "programming
with posix threads" help me learn the unix world a bit better, but without
debugging knowledge I find it hard to get anywhere with writing more than my
high school level of programs and very difficult to get anywhere on the
projects of others once threads and/or dynamic memory is involved.
  Any suggested course for further study from here?
Thanks again,
Edward Sutton, III