** At 12:14 -0400 on 08/11/2008, Robert Huff wrote:
Vince Sabio writes:

  I am currently running FreeBSD v5.1 (yes, I am a Bad Person(tm)),

        Why?

Why am I a Bad Person(tm), or why am I still running v5.1?

 >   and need to update it to v7.0. Questions:

  1. Can I go straight from v5.1 to v7.0? Or do I need to make a
  stop at v6.x?

        It is probably technically possible.
        However: when jumping major versions, my advice is always "If
possible, install from clean disk."

I assume you mean "install from a clean CD" -- I did that, and it worked like a charm. And, for anyone else running v5.x who is considering upgrading to v7.0, this seems to be a very good way to do it. I downloaded and burned a bootonly.iso, and then ran the upgrade via [passive] FTP. Ten or fifteen minutes later, I was booting into v7.0.

        In either case: remember to save critical config files
(rc.conf, the kernel config, sshd_config, the named directory, etc.)
elsewhere.

The fact that the upgrade worked proves that my backups are in good shape -- if they weren't, then the upgrade would have overwritten the system disk and then failed. ;-)