--On August 19, 2008 12:44:05 PM +1000 Fraser Tweedale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 09:03:36PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
I know I'm missing the obvious.  I want to use an IP list to generate
an  ip+hostname list.  IOW, I want to go from this:

x.x.x.x
y.y.y.y

to this;

x.x.x.x foo.domain.tld
y.y..y.y bar.domain.tld

What's the best/easiest way to do this?

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/

dig(1) - see section `MULTIPLE QUERIES'
note the -x flag to instruct dig to perform a reverse lookup

see also host(1)

That's not a great deal of help. I, of course, had read and re-read the man pages before posting the question here, and I'm quite familiar with the "normal" use of dig and host, because I use them daily in my work.

The two options that man (1) dig provides are; on the commandline and in a file. I can easily generate a list of hostnames having constructed an iplist in a file and then preceding each line with "dig +short -x IP" using vi. But that gives me a list of hostnames only. What I'm looking for is the combination of the two. host (1), of course, doesn't even have *those* options, so it's of no use for accomplishing what I'm attempting.

Again, I want to start with a list of IPs and end up with a list of IPs *plus* their hostnames (on the same line). I'm quite sure someone here has the experience and/or knowledge to do this using shell commands. I suspect awk might be helpful but haven't yet investigated that angle.