Martin McCormick wrote:
I am trying to isolate only the MAC addresses that appear in
dhcpd logs.
For anyone who is interested, the sed construct that should do
this looks like:

sed 's/.*\([[ your regular expression ]]\).*/\1/'
The \1 tells sed to only print what matched and skip all the rest.

        I am doing something wrong with the regular expression
that is supposed to recognise a MAC address. MAC addresses look
like 5 pairs of hex digits followed by :'s and then a 6TH pair
to end the string.

        I have tried:

[[:xdigit:][:xdigit:][:punct:]

Sorry. It won't all fit on a line, but there should be a string
of 5 pairs and the : and then the 6TH pair followed by the
closing ] so the expression ends with ]]

One should also be able to put:

[[:xdigit:][:xdigit:][:punct:]]\{5,5\}[[:xdigit:][:xdigit]]

Any ideas as to what else I can try?

What happens is I get single characters per line that look like
the first or maybe the last character in that line, but
certainly nothing useful or nothing that remotely looks like a
MAC address.

        Any ideas as to what's wrong with the regular
expression?

        Many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK Systems Engineer

I don't have a seperate dhcp log and you didn't make it clear if you do, but I do have something similar written for awk that parses the system log file.

awk ' /DHCPREQUEST/ { print $10 } '  /var/log/messages

Maybe that will help.

~Paul