Gary Kline wrote:
On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 11:00:19PM -0400, Steve Bertrand wrote:
Gary Kline wrote:
        Folks,

I'm looking at a 3GHz ThinkPad w/out any OS. It's got at most 512M memory and only 40G drive. The guy I'm going to
        have upgrade this l'top thinks it will take a 160GB drive easily.
Also that the RAM might max out at just 2GB.
        Any fellow TP-people onlist who know if my friend is right?
If you specify the model of the laptop, a quick Google or search on IBM (Lenovo) website will inform you what the maximum upgrade path on hardware is on the box.

        So if this 3GHz was an X-41 or a T-41, there'll be someplace
online with the exact specs? Or is there more to the model designation. I have tried to find some specs on upgrade when I had my 600E. Found nothing.

As an example (T-41):

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-58183.html

In the past, when dealing with business client purchases, what upgrade paths I could not find on a website or via documentation, I was always able to call up and ask via telephone.

        GVood point! I'll find what what this guy's quals are.  No sense
        in blowing $400-500 out the window, then going "Oh, S**t!"

This could lead me way into off-topic-ness, so I'm going to leave it alone ;)

Cheers,

Steve