Lister Notifies wrote:

Nope, it's too soon for me to deal with moving targets. So, I guess I
need the rock-stable
version until I get familiar with the OS.

I'll agree with "rock-stable" as it relates to FBSD;
however, realize that the "-STABLE" tag mostly refers
to the fact that the developers aren't allowed to make
sweeping changes to subsystems/API's without permission
from a consensus of developers and perhaps even notification of the userbase. It's not a guarantee of
usability, etc.  As noted, RELENG is what you want for
now; it's never going to be changed for the sake of a
feature, only for security related patching.

 > 3) "make buildworld" re-compiles _everything_ or the "base system" only?

 It recompiles the base system. For updates to packages installed from
 ports look at portupgrade.

OK. It brings another question. For example Postgres is not a part of
the base system. Will it break if i make:
##
pkg_add -r postgresql83-server.tbz
cvsup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
reboot (in single mode)
mergemaster -p
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot
##

...And what should I do if Postgres (or any other arbitrary binary
package) breaks afterwards? How should I keep the binary packages
up-todate? Actually I intend to
compile Postgres from the ports after success in re-building and
installing the base system, but the question still remains.

First, let me hopefully give you a little comfort, that as
long as you're only tracking a RELENG branch, this (breakage
of a port) will Hardly Ever Happen(tm).

I think another poster already pointed you to "portupgrade"
(which is well-known in the community and perhaps even mentioned
in the official FBSD Docs, although it's a "port" itself ...
take a gander at /usr/ports/port-mgmt for an idea of what's
there to manage your ports.

Now, let me caution you that updating the *ports* is more
likely to cause issues than the updating of the base system.
If you, for example, happen to upgrade expat or something
basic to a bunch of ports, things can go pretty haywire until
everything's back up-to-date.  But, then again, that's what
the ports-mgmt tools are supposed to help with.

<snip>

Last but not least: Thanks for the fast and detailed response. I
appreciate it very much.

Well, welcome to *the* community.  FBSD's community is often that
way.

Kevin Kinsey
--
In every hierarchy the cream rises until it sours.
                -- Dr. Laurence J. Peter