On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Peter Schuller wrote:

I've been trying to find anything that fits the bill. My only
requirements are:

* That it works with amd64 (on FreeBSD, obviously).
* That it supports Xvideo.
* That it has decent 2D performance.
* That it works with wide screen resolutions (so I guess basically
 modern hardware + modern driver).

Unfortunately, the 'nv' driver has significant performance issues so
nVidia cards are out. I love what ATI is doing with the radeonhd
driver, but no Xvideo yet.

At present, it looks like at least some R5xx chipsets are supported by both radeon and radeonhd. One of those might be a good compromise. Or you could stick to the earlier chipsets that are only in radeon (R3xx/R4xx). I don't know how current this chart is:

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

I know Matrox used to be a good bet, but apparantly modern cards
require binary blobs.

The latest experimental Matrox drivers no longer need a blob. However, Matrox seems to have wandered away from the general-purpose video card market. AGP and PCI cards are available used, PCI-X versions harder to find and more expensive, and driver updates are much less likely than a more mainstream card.