In case this helps anybody, I fixed the 2 min startup by adding my machine's
hostname to /etc/hosts, and the crash problem is fixed by installing the
latest xf86-video-savage port. I wonder why the sysinstall doesnt know how
to figure this out when installing and build the prot for me?

Well anyway that was a good introduction to FreeBSD.