mdh wrote:
--- On Sat, 10/11/08, Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        On the Ubuntu computer I am /home/kline; on my main
computer,
        my home is /usr/home/kline.   The following sh script
worked
        perfected when my home on "tao" [FBSD] was
/home/kline:

#!/bin/sh

PWD=`pwd`;
echo "This directory is [${PWD}]";

scp -qrp  ${PWD}/* ethos:/${PWD}
###/usr/bin/scp -rqp -i /home/kline/.ssh/zeropasswd-id
${PWD}/* \ klin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/${PWD}

        Question #1: is there any /bin/sh method of getting rid of
the
        "/usr"?  I switch off between my two computers
especially when
        get mucked up, as with my upgrade to kde4.  (Otherwise, I
do
        backups of ~kline as well as other critical directories.)

        Is there a way of automatically using rsync rather that my
        kwik-and-dirty /bin/shell script?

        thanks, people,

        gary

If what you wish to do is simply get rid of /usr in a string, you can use sed
like so:
varWithoutUsr=`echo ${varWithUsr} |sed -e 's/\/usr//'`
After running this, where $varWithUsr is the variable containing a string like "/usr/home/blah", the variable $varWithoutUsr will be equal to "/home/blah". I create simple scripts like this all the time to rename batches of files, for example. The easier way is probably just to not specify a dir to scp's remote path though, since it defaults to the user's home directory.

Or, in anything resembling Bourne shell:

varWithoutUsr=${varWithUsr#/usr}

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                 Flat 3