Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
Manish Jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I am poor at networking and need a little bit of help. My dad has a Windows 2000 machine with a network card but does not have a connection to the internet.

When I started writing this, I thought that system had been abandoned
already, but it appears Microsoft will offer a measure of support
through next year sometime.  Do see that the system gets properly
updated before you put it on the net.

My freebsd 6.2 box is connected to the internet and has 2 network cards, rl0 and rl1. rl0 connects to the ISP and rl1 is directly connected via a long Ethernet cable to the NIC on my dad's machine. While I can access the internet easily, I want my dad to be able to connect to the internet with my freebsd box serving as the gateway. Can anyone please explain to me in easy steps how to accomplish this ?

The keyword is that you need to set up your machine as a gateway.
There are numerous guides available on how to do that (including the
FreeBSD Handbook (free, online and likely already on your system) my
PF tutorial (http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/) contains more than a few
hints, as do several books available at better bookstores), but I
would recommend that you pick literature that enables you to learn the
basics of TCP/IP as well as the actual commands needed.  Looking into
packet filtering for basic protection won't hurt either.  With those
keywords in hand, you should be able to dig up something useful.

- Peter

Inspired by this discussion (and just replying to a random post) I tried for the first time to get a test machine as a gateway.
I tried the handbook's instructions, here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-natd.html

These work flawlessly, you will need to recompile your kernel though. The rest of the setup is relatively simple. I am more accustomed to using pf rather than IPFW though, and as I wanted to test this on my main system, I came up with this setup:

/etc/rc.conf

pf_enable="YES"
pf_rules="/etc/pf.conf"
pf_flags=""
gateway_enable="YES"

(Run sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 *and* /etc/rc.d/routing restart if you do not wish to reboot after modifying rc.conf)

I added this rule before the filtering rules section in my /etc/pf.conf:

nat pass on rl1 from rl0:network to any -> rl1

(This is an excellent read: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/  )

where rl1 is the Internet-facing card, and rl0 is the local network one.
Also added a few simple rules to allow traffic from rl0 as I am normally using pf for firewalling.

This also worked nicely, and has the added advantage of not having to recompile the kernel.

So the OP has quite a few options, and it may prove not to be very difficult after all.