So how do I achieve per-slice journaling instead of per-partition?
The docs only says this: "gjournal only supports UFS2". It does not specifically say that you cannot have per-slice journaling. However, since you could have other filesystems on your slice, I bet that slice based journaling is not supported.

Consider this: how would you journal an NTFS file system (and then boot windows after an unclean shutdown?) Another tricky question: why would you journal a SWAP partition?

Best,

  Laszlo