Simon Chang a écrit :
collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

I've read that this is mainly caused by Apache spawning too many processes.
Everyone seems to suggest to decrease the MaxClients directive in Apache(set
to 450 at the moment), but here's the problem...i need to increase it !
During peaks all the processes are in use, we even have little drops
sometime because there isn't enough processes to serve the requests. Our
traffic is increasing slowly over time so i'm affraid that it'll become a
real problem soon. Any tips on how I could deal with this situation,
Apache's or FreBSD's side ?

On page 85 of Michael Lucas' "Absolute BSD", there is a solution to
your problem that someone else had come across before.  The solution
involves (1) increasing the PMAP_SHPGPERPROC parameter in the kernel
to a higher value and rebuilding the kernel, and (2) increasing the
amount of physical RAM to complement it.

For more details, go to

http://books.google.com/books?id=vebgS-r9fP8C&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=Michael+Lucas+collecting+pv+entries&source=web&ots=9Fl2T_Uyqi&sig=6LgchiUI5r0NTL6PaK3sxnFuIBI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Good luck,

Simon Chang

Thanks for the links, pretty helpful but this server is the only production web server we have. I don't really like the idea of recompiling the kernel with a new option...

I don't really understand why we are getting this error since there is plenty of Inactive RAM in the system (2G inactive on a 4G server with amd64). Is this a "normal" error in this case?

Thank you for your quick reply.