Christoph Kukulies schrieb:
Hi Al,

thanks for pointing me to safe mode install. That I will probably try tomorrow. The day ended up in havoc: I tried to boot a floppy to do an ASUS BIOS upgrade and somehow messed with the power cable. A big flash occurred originating from the power supply. I opened the power supply, found a blown fuse, ran to the electronics store, bought a new fuse (+ one in reserve), inserted the fuse, tried the power supply, with connections off and a firework, prematurely - your presidential elections aren't finished yet - , developed in front of my face. Will continue tomorrow, when America has a new president.

Back at the problem: I chose 3. safe mode to no avail. Still get this

acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00 run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config

I even changed the CDROM drive to a very old slow one. I changes IDE busses (first vs. second IDE) to no avail. I'm now gonna burn another medium. No luck yet installing 7.1 BETA2. I'm also a long time FreeBSD user btw,
from times where it was called "386bsd" :-)

--
Christoph

--
Christoph

Al Plant schrieb:
Julien Cigar wrote:
I've this problem too on almost all my machines. The only solution I've
found is to disable DMA (atapi_dma), but then performances are very poor
(and I'm still unable to burn a CD/DVD)