On Nov 9, 2008, at 12:18 AM, Ian wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 13:10:46 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 01:40:51AM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,
I have a FreeBSD server that has about 10,500 subdirectories within a
single directory.
This number will keep rising and I assume UFS2 has a limit to the number of sub-directories in a single directory - can anyone tell me what it is?

As far as I know, there is no such limit on the number of files/dirs
inside of a directory.

Thanks for that Jeremy. I didn't invent this structure, but I daresay I can either modify it or get the original writer to do that. I never really gave it a thought before now - it was the system I was given to work with and it's worked fine so far, except when I try to list the contents of the directory -
that takes ages!
All the folders are 7 digit numbers and we are up to approx. 0010500 entries
(ie subdirs) so far.
I guess it will just be a matter of experimenting to find the optimum number
of sub-sub-directories per sub-directory :-/

On the issue of possible inode limitations, it may be of some reassurance (or alarm ;-)) to look at the output of df -i. This will tell you if you are close to any limit on inodes. Between that and your already well known counts of directories and rate of creation, you can gauge how much time you have to
change your app.