Dan wrote:
Kris Kennaway([EMAIL PROTECTED])@2008.11.09 12:57:16 -0800:
could be an issue with ntfs-3g driver
Sounds like it to me. ntfs-3g uses FUSE, which is a userland filesystem framework. By design it will have poor I/O performance since every I/O transfer will require multiple trips into and out of the kernel.

The FS performance isn't the issue, the poor interactive performance is.

If you're thrashing your system with too many context switches or I/O load it is expected that performance will suffer. You should do some additional investigation with the standard monitoring tools (top, vmstat, gstat, etc) to determine what your system is doing.

Kris