[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
andrew clarke <mail_ozzmosis.com> said (on 2008/10/29):
You need to understand that the FreeBSD project by its nature is
primarily source-code driven.  Making packages available (of any port)
is of very low priority in comparison to the rest of the system
(testing, documentation, etc).  Demanding that the FreeBSD volunteers
build a package just because you want to use it is a bit unfair,
particularly when you can make one yourself without much trouble.

I'm not sure I got all the emails in this thread... maybe some just
haven't arrived yet.

Anyway... I, for one, depend on packages. It literally takes days to build something like Firefox on my (admittedly old) computer. I'm surprised that package creation is such a low priority. Are there so few people running FreeBSD on old hardware?

Just so you're clear, the original poster was completely wrong on how packages are built by the FreeBSD project. Others have already explained the process in this thread, but to repeat: the packages are built automatically and continuously by a dedicated set of machines, and they are uploaded to the FTP site frequently.

Kris