On Saturday 22 February 2003 03:24 am, Michael wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:46:09 +0100
> taxman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Friday 21 February 2003 02:50 pm, Michael wrote:   (snipped)
> > > I've been using 4.X for some time with no problems(that I can remember
=)

> > > So i'm booting the install 5-RELEASE mini cd :
> >
> > Ok this is getting out of hand.  5.0 is a testing release.  See:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/early-adopter.html
> > so of course it is not going to work for everything.  Development is
> > proceeding rapidly on 5.0, so the problem you're seeing may be fixed
already.
> > Installing -current would be the only way to know.  if you tried that and
got
> > the same error, then they would love to hear about it on the -current
mailing
> > list so that it can be properly fixed.  It's not likely it will ever be
fixed
> > for 5.0 release, which is a static point on an again, rapidly moving,
> > development track.
> >     If 4.x works well then use that, or if you want to experiment try
-current,
> > perhaps by installing a snapshot.
>
> Thanks, didn't realise 5-RELEASE was still current,

It is and I didn't mean to be so harsh to you specifically.  It was more that
so many people are missing that bit of info that maybe it should be a FAQ
now.

> anyway how should I report something like this to current@ ?
> I mean is there some sort of "backtrace" I can do after it panics that would
be more useful than just this oneline message? :P

boot -v (at the initial prompt) may be helpful, but I don't know on 5.0

What I was getting at was maybe this has already been fixed in the -current
development track, so it would be really irritating to them if you asked
about a fixed issue.
        So first try installing a snapshot:
http://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/
As explained there, they are built every day from -current sources.
If the normal installation CD ISO there boots fine, consider your problem
fixed in -current.  You could try the bootonly or cdboot cd ISO's first, but
they may be a bit different than the normal boot process.

        If your problem is not fixed in the latest -current snapshot, then send a
question with the ouptut of boot -v to the freebsd-current mailing list,
perhaps along with a copy of dmesg from 4.x running on the machine in
question.  Good luck,

        Tim