On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 08:25:51PM +0100, Pieter Donche wrote:
If I insert a USB memory stick in my laptop with FreeBSD 7.0 nothing
happens. On the same laptop in the SuSE 10.1 partition, the same USB
stick appears in Konqueror under Storage Media  and is ready to use)
In FreeBSD, Konqueror shows nothing under Storage Media.
Is this normal?

What shows up in your kernel message log (outside of X, usually on the
first virtual console) when you insert the stick?  It should show a
umass device being added, then a daX device being added.

There are indeed messages:
umass0: <M-SysT5 Dell Memory Key, class ... > on uhub4
da0: at umass-sim0 ...
..
da0: 60 Mb   (OK, it is a 64 Mb key)
GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider da0s1 is msdosfs/USB MEMORY

also when unplugging, some messages

$ ls -la /dev/da0s1 shows only the character device line