I thought of going on the ZFS way (on FreeBSD of course) with some

i think you already tested it well and compared to normal UFS.

raidz. One of the problems
is that the server will stay in their office so it has to be quite silent.

I honestly don't know what hardware to look for so if you have any suggestions
i'm more than open to hear them.
if i were you i would get any motherboard with 8 SATA ports, up to 8 1TB disks, cheapest available CPU, good PCIe gigabit cards or two.

if it has to be single volume i would use gstripe, or if it should be protected somehow - graid3 or graid5, and use UFS.

if it's not that important - simply making each whole drive as one filesystem and multiple mount points.

i strongly recommend later way - in case of any problems it's easiest to solve.