At 01:11 AM 12/4/2008, Tim Judd wrote:
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Derek Ragona wrote:
>
>> I have a freshly installed 7.0 release server.  The configuration files
>> (all dot files including .ssh  etc.) in /root keep getting deleted.  I
>> assume this is from a script running from periodic and can be set NOT to
>> delete these files. Can someone point me where I need to make this change.
>>  I have already combed through the handbook and mailing list archives.
>>

> There is no such standard script in FreeBSD.
>
> Kris

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]"

I'd make sure there's not something like a tmpfs/mfs filesystem that /root
is being used on.  If / is on a ramdisk image of any kind, on each reboot,
it should disappear.

Perhaps you should paste your fstab and current mounted filesystems as an
aid to debug.

I didn't think it would be from the way the filesystems are mounted, so here's that information:

cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/da0s1d             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

 mount
/dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/da0s1d on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)

/root is on /dev/da0s1a

This particular server is running in a VM on a vmware esx 3.5 server. The server runs fine, but every so often the dot files disappear for root. I have not found the behavior to follow a reboot, but some period of time. Hence my suspicions it was a periodic script.

        -Derek

believed to be clean.