Thank you Sahil Tandon

I have solved the problem. My ISP uses proxy for http (I think) as I have closed off port 80 and opened port 8080, and that has got me to the web with no problem. I have also been able to use ports installation with my ipf firewall setup, so I could not understand why portaudit command failed. I have now opened up port 80 and get the thing working.

Your message got me thinking in this direction as you confiremed that the file is from http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports.

Once again thanks and apologies for the late reply.