On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, default013 wrote:
> I'm working on a script that will automate making shell accounts and I guess
> I'm a bit stumped on how one enters the encrypted password into the deal.
>
> If anyone knows any resources where I might find this kind of info or has
> some suggestions for me it would be very much appreciated.

        If you don't mind learning a new language, check out Expect.  Its
an extention to TCL that allows the language to script/automate command
line programs such as the adduser command.

        Alternately, look at man 8 pw and /usr/share/skel.  These should
get you started.  Once upon a time, I took the adduser script that came
with FreeBSD and was written in perl (in C now) and hacked it to do what I
wanted.  You could take that approach, too.

                                                        Good luck,
                                                        Jaime

--
"To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts."
 - Henry David Thoreau, _Where_I_Live_