On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Wojciech Puchar <
woj...@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> As ZFS is becoming more stable and approaching production ready, how
>> would one "Backup" ZFS? In terms of backing up to an external media or
>> storage rather than doing snapshots. In case the the server
>> spontaneously bursts into flames.
>>

> use tar it's filesystem independent if you have tape drives.
>
> actually you can tar to anything even multivolume backup using USB
> connected drivers.
>
>  I'm just curious at what others are currently doing to back up huge
>> amounts of data. eg. 2TB and onwards.
>>
>> 1. ZFS -> External HDD (External HDD aren't even big enough to handle
>> greater than 2TB) Taken offsite daily
>> 2. ZFS -> Another ZFS box (Not sure how you take it off site daily)
>> 3. ZFS -> Remote ZFS using RSync (Living in Australia, there are
>> limits on data transfer of a few hundred GB per month, to costs are
>> prohibitive)
>>

> you don't require your backup target to have ZFS.

Quite wrong. If you want to use the zfs send | zfs receive along with zfs
snapshots tools the backup target *needs* to be ZFS.

If you plan to use the zfs send | [ tar | gz ] then you can backup the
snapshots anywhere you want in a compressed form.

a great day,