Tim Judd wrote:
Tim Kellers wrote:
I just bought a Dell 2850 (2 2.8GHZ dual core processors). The server will be used as a webserver, e-mail server. and a db server (both PostgresQL and My SQL Beyond the breaking of the 4 Gig RAM barrier, is there any compelling reason to use a 32 bit i386 or a 64 bit AMD OS? The machine currently has just a gig of RAM but I'm going to add more, soon. The machine runs headless and has no xorg, installed.

A pointer to an article that discusses the 32 bit v 64 bit question would be appreciated as well.

dell# uname -a
FreeBSD dell.smsd.tv 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #0: Thu Dec 25 04:12:57 EST 2008 r...@dell.smsd.tv:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DELL i386

TIA

Tim Kellers
it's more important to know the CPU inside the machine, by model number instead of the model of the outer case.

If windows is still on it, run the cpu identification utility from intel, IF it's an intel cpu. The id utility will tell you if it's 64-bit capable.

Using Dell's service tag and looking at warranty/original system config might be a good resource too.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I already know it is 64 bit capable. I 'm interested in finding out if their are measurable performance advantages to running it using 64 v 32 bit FreeBSD.

Thanks

Tin Kellers