On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:03:29PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

>       Guys,
>
>       I've going to give away what I think could be at least a
>       multi-thousand dollar idea, something we nearly have already.
>       And a wish-list for a program that does not, AFAIK, exist.

Its called iTunes.

>       First, the wish-for:: given all the kinds of video and audio
>       programs that are now on the web, how difficult would it be
>       to have a GUI [interface] program pop up a screen with date of
>       airing, and/or date of podcast?  Not to exceed several hours
>       worth of recorded podcasts... or live recording.

iTunes will suck them down and has settings for when (if ever) to delete
old podcasts.

>       I can only give examples of thing I watch, but this will give
>       you some idea.  And bear in mind that at least FreeBSD cannot
>       capture some programs.  Like "FRONTLINE" on PBS.
>
>       But for the sake of argument, let's say that firefox or
>       whatever browser or kmplayer or another player did have the
>       proper codecs.
>
>       This GUI app  would find, fetch, and store in /usr/local/tmp
>       FRONTLINE, NOVA, "In Our Time" and "Everyday Ethics" [BBC],
>       and "Marketplace", Weekend, 10jan09.

iTunes stores in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Podcasts/

>       When these programs were safely in /usr/local/tmp/Pods, the
>       program would send mail or otherwise inform the user.

Script from cron to detect presence of a new file in the above, send
notification.

There are FreeBSD ports for subscribing to podcasts that could do the
same thing.

>       How doable is this...?  and, yes, i know that many of these
>       audio files can be subscribed to as podcasts.  I have several
>       on my Google page.

Get A Mac!

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dke...@hiwaay.net