On Jan 14, 2009, at 12:44 PM, t-u-t wrote:
While it is true that you can comment out all but i686 and get a working kernel, you will experience reduced performance. There are a number of low-level assembly routines (cf sys/i386/i386/support.s such as i586_bcopy) that are conditionalized off of I586_CPU only, even though they provide an
advantage on i686 platforms also.

--
-Chuck

so in any case it doesn't hurt to leave all 3. right?

Certainly it doesn't hurt. As far as I can tell, leaving 486 option increases the kernel size (very) slightly but there doesn't seem to be many things optimized for 486 which don't have better equivalents coded for 586 or 686.

Leaving out the 586 option would not be desirable AFAICT....

I have one last question though, is

makeoptions DEBUG=g necessary if i am not debugging or is it always
necessary to build the kernel properly? can i safely comment it out?

It can be commented out safely, yes.

Regards,
--
-Chuck