How does the kernel I would build from that link differ from the stock 7.1 kernel?

Ewald Jenisch wrote:
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 03:57:50PM -0700, Tom Everett wrote:
I'm running the "stock" FreeBSD 7.1 kernel on an IBM x330 machine. The machine has two physical processors but it seems that FreeBSD 7.1 on sees one. I downloaded the kernel source and it seems that the GENERIC kernel has SMP installed. Is there something else I can try? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Have you already tried to build a kernel for your system using the
latest sources, i.e. cvsup-ing the sources and build your own
system/kernel (see e.g.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading.html)

HTH
-ewald