> Yes, please see /usr/ports/UPDATING, Xorg was updated.

OK, I went through and ran
# portupgrade -rf libxcb
which took a while to update everything, but did so without any
errors (or at least without any that I caught).

However, now when I startx, X loads, but I have no mouse in X. (The
mouse works fine when X isn't running.)

These errors are present when I switch terminals and return to the
terminal X was running on:

** (xfce-mcs-manager:4299): CRITICAL **: find_master: assertion `mixer_handle
!=  -1' failed

(xfce-mcs-manager:4299): xfce-mcs-manager-WARNING **: Module
/usr/local/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins/xfce4-iconbox_settings.so cannot be opened
(GModule (/usr/local/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins/xfce4-iconbox_settings.so)
initialization check failed: Incorrect module version)

(Thunar:4302): thunar-vfs-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the HAL daemon:
Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or
directory

I have tried uninstalling (using pkg_delete) and reinstalling (using
portinstall) hal, but still get this problem.

I also tried adding
AllowEmptyInput "off"
in xorg.conf, but that gives an error when starting X that
AllowEmptyInput is not valid.

I also added the path to hald (/usr/local/sbin) to the path in
/etc/rc, but still get the same error.

I'm not seeing anything obvious in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log, though I
do see where it sees AllowEmptyInput as "on..."

If it makes a difference, it's a PS/2 mouse and keyboard (I'm not sure
if X is receiving keyboard input, but I'm not sure how to test that
without being able to click something to open some kind of window...)

Thanks for any further tips.

Keith